The death of a final year student Imo State University who allegedly fell into a soak away pit and drowned has made the school and environs to remain in a quite mode.
The final year student was trying to escape from his friends who were bent on pouring dirty water on him as part of the fun to celebrate his great achievement when the incident happened. According an eyewitness and a student of the institution, Chris Darlington Ifesi, the young man was just happy that he has become a fresh graduate and as the norm with most students, his friends decided to do something naughty by getting water from a gutter and bathing him with it but the prank turned horrific as the fresh graduate lost his life in the process.
This is how Ifesi captured the incident on his Facebook page: “Tragedy struck yesterday as a fresh graduate of the Imo State University took his last breathe as students poured him water in jubilation of final year completion. What seem to be jubilation turned into a gathering of sorrow when the victim was running away from a number of students who pursued after him to pour dirty water on him. In that quest to dodge the water being poured on him, he fell into a soakaway pit and got drowned. The dirty water from the pit however is partially passing a light current as the pit is dug beside their transformer where earth-wire is buried. Pouring of water has been banned in schools but some students would not obey this. Many students in this light unaccepted celebration of final papers have been injured, poured acid and some other dangerous liquids while some other persons have gone to the great beyond via this. I think every final year student should learn from this as well as those who dedicate them to pouring water on university finalists. Please don’t scroll down or feel too big without Typing R.I.P FOR THIS BROTHER”
Okegbemi Olusoji Festus is an Editor/Creative writer at campustori.com, A digital media Executive and a known Social Media Enthusiast.