The United Nations University (UNU-WIDER) PhD Internship Programme gives registered doctoral students an opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their PhD dissertation or thesis research, and to work with UNU-WIDER researchers in areas of mutual interest.
PhD interns typically spend 3 consecutive months at UNU-WIDER and return to their home institution afterwards. During their time in Helsinki, PhD interns prepare one or more research papers and present a seminar on their research findings. PhD interns may also have the opportunity to publish their research in the WIDER Working Paper Series.
30 September 23:59 EEST
Value of Internships
- UNU-WIDER provides a travel grant,
- medical insurance (for medical and hospital services resulting from sickness and accident during your stay at UNU-WIDER),
- and a monthly stipend of EUR 1,600 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their internship.
- The programme does not cover expenses related to dependents.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD programme and have shown ability to conduct research on developing economies.
- Candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute.
- Candidates should be fluent in oral and written English and possess good quantitative and/or qualitative analytical skills.
- Preference is given to applicants who are living or working in developing countries and who are at later stages of the PhD.
How to Apply
UNU-WIDER only receives online applications for the PhD Internship Programme twice each year. Deadlines for submission of applications are 31 March and 30 September 23:59 EEST each year. When applying in September, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period February-June of the following year and when applying in March, you would be visiting UNU-WIDER in the period August-November of the same year.
For more information, click here to visit official webpage>>
Okegbemi Olusoji Festus is an Editor/Creative writer at campustori.com, A digital media Executive and a known Social Media Enthusiast.