House of Representatives’ Committee on Education Chairman Comrade Aminu Sulaiman has praised Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) management for protecting the lives and properties of students.
Sulaiman, who visited the college over the fire which gutted a wing of the Bakassi Girls Hostel said: “It is good we sacrificed time to come. The impression given by petition writers was a far cry from what we met on ground.
“There were insinuations of negligence on the part of the college. Some even claimed students were still in the hospital. In another document, there was a claim that the fire resulted from the fact that the management let out 80 per cent of the space. It is satisfying we embarked on this trip because, we were able to see things for ourselves and where the truth lies.”
He added: “I am personally satisfied that we visited today. We are not disappointed because we have not found anything to indicate ineptitude on the part of the management. This is an incident that could happen anywhere.
, and we want it to continue to be so. Let me say we are happy with the outcome of this visit. It will help in guiding us with fact,” he said.
Sulaiman sympathised with the students over the incident.
The Rector, Dr Margaret Kudirat Ladipo, said the fire was caused by power surge following restoration of light.
She said, about 600 students were housed on the two-floor hostel, adding that they were evacuated moments after the fire.
Twenty-one students, she said, were rushed to the school’s Medical Centre, adding that 13 were referred to the Military Hospital, Yaba. All the students, she said, had been discharged.
Okegbemi Olusoji Festus is an Editor/Creative writer at campustori.com, A digital media Executive and a known Social Media Enthusiast.