This is to inform Interested and suitably qualified Doctor of Philosophy candidates that they should apply for PASET Scholarships for PhD research at one of the four Partnership for skills in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (PASET) African Host Universities.
Being a scholar of the Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (RSIF) is a bridge to becoming a part of an exciting new community of highly skilled African scientists and innovators in Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (ASET) fields.
As an RSIF scholar, you will study at one of the most competitive ASET programs in Sub-Saharan Africa, and receive a competitive stipend for living expense as well as funds to cover part of your tuition cost and research – letting you focus on ground-breaking research opportunities and join the next generation of African leaders in science and technology.
You will also have the opportunity to travel abroad for parts of your studies and work with global researchers as part of “sandwich program” partnerships with premier international institutions. RSIF aims to provide the ecosystem necessary to nurture its scholars during their PhD program and continue to create the support system for them after graduation.
UNIVERSITY OF GASTON BERGER SENEGAL
Africa Center of Excellence for Mathematics, Informatics, and ICT (MITIC)
UNIVERSITY OF FÉLIX HOUPHOUËT-BOIGNY-BOG-CÔTE D’IVOIRE
Africa Center of Excellence for Climate Change Biodiversity and Sustainable Agriculture (CCBAD)
SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE TANZANIA
Africa Center of Excellence for Infectious Diseases of Humans & Animals in Southern & Eastern Africa (SACIDS)
AFRICAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY NIGERIA
Pan African Materials Institute (PAMI)
Eligibility Criteria for the PASET Scholarship for PhD Research
Students will be selected based on several criteria including ones set by the host institution and also by PASET. Below are the eligibility requirements for the current Call for Applications.
- Applicants must be citizens of a sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants must have applied to at least one of RSIF’s African Host Universities in at least one of the thematic areas. For the 2017/2018 cohort, the 3 eligible thematic areas are:
* Information Communications Technology (ICT)
* Food security
* Mining, materials and minerals engineering.
- Applicants must hold a Master’s degree in a relevant field of study.
Applicants must be willing to enroll full-time in the PhD program. Students may take on teaching/research assistantship related to their discipline of study on the campus where they are pursuing their PhD program.
Priority will be given to applicants who:
- Are junior African faculty/academic staff with 1-5 years of teaching/research experience but no PhD
- Have a compelling life history and academic trajectory
- Demonstrate a commitment to pursuing an academic career beyond the scholarship period
- Demonstrate leadership potential, such as community service in areas related to PASET RSIF fields of study
- Are women or ethnic minorities; have physical disabilities
How To Apply for PASET Scholarship for PhD Research – 2017
- Call for application begins.
- Students apply directly to the RSIF host Africa Centers of Excellence (ACEs) for admission, adhering to the centers’ own application procedures
- In parallel, the applicants apply online for the RSIF scholarship.
- Host centers review applications and admit qualified candidates into their programs.
- From the admitted candidates, host centers nominate prospective scholars to the RSIF Implementation Unit (RIU) based on RSIF specific academic criteria.
- The RIU then conducts initial screening of applications of nominated scholars and holds interviews (overseen by Executive Committee).
- Following a final screening of scholars shortlisted by the interview committee, selected scholars are notified.
- The RIU organizes an orientation for the successful candidates.
- Scholars enroll and begin program based on the host center’s academic year calendar.
You can click here now to download the scholarship (RSIF Funding) Flyer
Documents You Need To Complete Your Application
- Statement of purpose (750 words)
- Bachelor’s degree certificate and transcript
- Master’s degree certificate and transcript
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Recommendation Letters (submit emails of two references)
Application Closing Date:
The deadline for submission of applications for the 2017 PASET Scholarship for PhD Research is July 24, 2017 | 5:00pm GMT.
Okegbemi Olusoji Festus is an Editor/Creative writer at campustori.com, A digital media Executive and a known Social Media Enthusiast.